Health Information Exchange
BayCare Health System's community Health Information Exchange (HIE) offers several interoperability solutions for providers in the community to receive information regarding their patients.
Receive electronic delivery of your patient's clinical results as well as demographics
Result Delivery, via the BayCare Health Information Exchange (HIE), allows electronic delivery of:
- Lab results, including microbiology and pathology
- Radiology results
- Hospital transcription
Delivery is in real time and allows for customizable delivery per practice preference, based on patient type and/or provider role. Physicians can receive patient results in one of three ways:
- Folder drop: Clinical results are electronically delivered as a .pdf file to a specific computer or server at the practice. The practice staff can manage files by printing or attaching to a patient’s chart in their EMR. There’s no cost associated with this option.
- iNexx iNbox: Clinical results are electronically delivered to a host computer or server at the practice. An administrative user at the practice can then give the staff access to view and/or print results via the iNexx iNbox web-based application. There’s no cost associated with this option.
- Direct EMR integration: Clinical results are electronically delivered directly into the practice’s EMR in HL7 format. This option requires the practice to contract with their vendor for an interface configuration project that includes build out and testing. BayCare will subsidize up to $5,000 toward the implementation of an interface. All ongoing maintenance costs associated with the practice’s EMR vendor are the responsibility of the practice.
Receive electronic notifications when patients are admitted or discharged from a BayCare facility
Notify, via the BayCare Health Information Exchange (HIE), delivers provider-specific notifications about select Emergency Department and inpatient admission or discharge events for BayCare hospitals. BayCare registrars will record the name of the patient’s primary care physician at registration to facilitate the notification process.
Physicians can receive notification in one of three ways:
- Email (non-secure, non-direct): An email is sent to the physician’s email account based on an admission or discharge event. Each email contains a link to the HIE Notify dashboard where the physician can log in to view patient details.
- Text message: A message is sent to the physician’s cell phone on an admission or discharge event. Each message contains a link to the HIE Notify dashboard where the physician can log in to view patient details.
- Direct Secure email: A secure email containing patient demographic details is sent to your Direct Secure address. The notification will provide patient demographics but won’t provide a detailed report of the admission or discharge.
Connect to Other Health Care Entities
BayCare currently offers the ability to access documents provided by community providers, as well as those from our BayCare HomeCare division.
Additionally, BayCare is working toward connecting to health care entities across the nation by initiating queries from within the Cerner Millennium EMR.
Both of these offerings depend upon the patient signing the BayCare Universal HIE consent form at time of registration at a BayCare facility.
To register for, or obtain more information regarding any of BayCare Health System's Health Information Exchange offerings:
- Call the BayCare Information Services (IS) Help Desk at (727) 467-4700
- Email the Health Information Exchange team directly: hie@BayCare.org